Saturday, October 29, 2011

Tricks!!

I have had the pleasure of working (off and of for the last 4 years) with a very talented pinto colt.  As a yearling, this little guy went national pinto champion, reserve as a 2 year old.  Now he's 5 and we're working together in dressage.  I have enjoyed him immeasurably since I've had him.  Norton told me one day that he was a little tired of just going to the arena and working on riding and circles and rail work and silly, boring things like that.  So, like my last very special boy Sam, I thought it would be time for Norton to learn some tricks.  He has really enjoyed this new stuff!!  We do our tricks in the arena before we tack up for our ride.  On the first day, we learned how to wave (he paws with his left forefoot when I wave and click to him) and lay down!  He was so so very willing to try for me, didn't fight it at all!  He is the first horse I've taught to lay down.  Now, about 3 weeks later, he has mastered that wave and often offers it for free, lays down pretty well, lays down flat and is working towards a sit (we've had it twice!)  He now also does a deep bow and we're still trying to masture the concept of a smile.  I have even had him lay down, then I sat on him, and he stood up with me on him!  OMG I was sooo nervous but it was super cool and he was perfect about it.  I even had an audience for that one (I know at least one person was there just to make sure I didn't die!) 


Isn't it amazing what a horse will do for a cookie and a pat?

No comments:

Post a Comment