Monday, October 17, 2011

Fall Classic Sale Overview

Well if I ever needed a weekend out, it was last weekend and boooy did I ever have a good time of it! 
I'm very fortunate to have some very good friends (some of whom live in very convenient locations, with very convenient hot tubs, and some of whom have very fuel-efficient little cars that make travel very inexpensive!)  My dear friend Renate and I decided to head down to Olds for the Fall Classic Canadian Warmblood Breeder's Sale.  (I think they need to cut that name down a little...)  We went down early on Saturday and watched some free jumping, had some visiting with the fantastic Michelle who was kind enough to put us up for the night, and then went back for the "Gala Event" Saturday evening.  It was a very good time including a small combined driving competition (the hackney and halflinger were AWESOME!!) and a 3-bar high jump competition.  I have to say I was a little petrified to watch the lady on her 17+ hh gelding who somehow managed to make it over the 5 ft 3" verticle to a second place finish.  The first place horse was a darling chestnut, the smallest of the bunch, who had all the try in the world to make it over a jump bigger than himself.  He certainly deserved the prize money, so did his rider!  Kudos also to the birthday boy Lyle who retired his horse appropriately.  A bottle of wine and a hot tub were a very fitting end to a great day!

The sale on Sunday brought much more visiting with old friends and quite a bit of excitement from my own little three-some.  Michelle has been considering a new mount as her mare is getting up there in years.  We found the IDEAL little gelding for her, lot 56, Castiel.  We thought he had the ideal temperment, confirmation, height, movement, for Michelle (and she agreed!!)  We were pretty excited when she went to bid on him but unfortunately her bank just wasn't quite deep enough to bring him home.  He sold to Victoria, BC, and I do hope his new home enjoys him as much as the 3 of us would have! 
Isn't he lovely??  His personality reminded me a lot of my Sam.  Made me miss him just a little bit more...

Anyways, prices were really all over the board and horses I expected to go for a good doller were taken back home because there was no action on them.  High selling horse went for $24,000. 

Next year we crazy sidesaddle riders would like to do a sidesaddle demo for the Gala evening.  I hope they're interested in having us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment