Saturday, December 10, 2011

What's In a Name

Let's be honest, it is a pretty bad name. 

There are LOTS of really bad names for successful barns out there so I don't feel very bad about it, but here's the reason why Shimmer-E Equestrian is Shimmer-E Equestrian.

For us ladies, mid to late 20's, maybe early to mid 30's, you will likely remember a set of books from when you were younger, the Serindipity books.  A whole series of story books done in the late 70's and early 80's for children.  I bet your favorite was the same as mine, same as many of my friends, and I bet you forgot...

Uh huh!  You've seen it haven't you?  Shimmeree lived in the crystal land with her crystal friends and found some dirt and a seed and it changed everything colour!  Everyone wanted to destroy it because it was different and skeery but Shimmeree hid it and then it turned into a beautiful rose.  Moral or story: Don't be afraid of something different. 

And so when it came time to name the business, my darling mother offered me the suggestion of taking my favorite childhood book (and yours too, you know it!!!) and modifying it a little.  Being un-wed at the time of naming, my maiden name was Enmark and thus Shimmer-E made sence.  Now with the breeding program, we give all of our offspring the suffex SE, of course short for Shimmer-E, but it's also a nice tribute to my mom, who's been my biggest supporter, Sonya Enmark (yaya see, her initials, on every horse...)

My sister is pretty darn artisitic, she's the designer in the family.  I asked her to help me design the logo kind of inkeeping with the whimsical theme of Shimmeree book, but something simple as well.  So we came up with our current logo, 5 simple lines, a horse in piaffe.
So there you go, it's not a great name, I'll totally agree with that, but it's me and it works and I kinda like it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment