Sunday, September 7, 2014

Opportunity of a LIFETIME!




Photo: Cam McGregor cam.mcgregor@shaw.ca
 
 Jose and I had a thrilling weekend with the RCMP Musical Ride at WELCA.  We started out with a trail ride through Edmonton starting at WELCA and ending up at the Cross Cancer Clinic on Saturday morning.  It was the wrap-up ride for the Wild Pink Yonder.  This was Jose's very first trail ride and, although he was a little impatient, he handled the whole experience extremely well!  Lots of media was present and we later saw ourselves on the morning Global news. 

Saturday evening saw our first performance in the ring.  Jose had already had a big day and he didn't give me his all although he did still perform well for me.  The crowd was enthusiastic and seemed to enjoy what we offered. 

Sunday was a fantastic day.  We took extra time to warm up before our performance to make sure all our movements were solid.  A few photographers were behind the scenes and one snapped a few fantastic pictures of Jose and I including the one above, which is on its way to becoming a wall hanging!  I was simply thrilled with how Jose performed for this show, every trick was perfect, people laughed at my joke and cheered well for us! 

Photo Cam McGregor  cam.mcgregor@shaw.ca


 After the RCMP ride, we had a quick photo op.  Unfortunately I had had a nasty cold and laryngitis and I missed the announcement to have him ready and in the ring with the RCMP until almost too late.  Fortunately, we still got this incredible shot:

Photo DevLynn Northy


As for the RCMP horses and riders, they were all just lovely!  I really enjoyed spending the weekend with these wonderful men and women.  They were very similar to the military family that I have learned to love over the years.  We all joked that Jose could fit right in on the trailer with their horses as several members had to take a triple-take when I walked Jose out before they got familiar with us.  One rider had joked that I should upgrade to one of the RCMP horses.  I told him there was no upgrading, this horse is the best there is.  After the second show, he agreed too :) 

All in all, hats off to the WELCA for setting up a wonderful show, to all of the volunteers and other performers who came to the show and to the members of the RCMP musical ride.  Thank you for an opportunity I will never forget! 

Happy Horseing!

No comments:

Post a Comment