Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Target

I have to say, I'm totally in love with my little feller. 
Yep, just a track-barn reject who wouldn't pace.  But he's a superstar!  That's right, my José.  Tonight I had one of those sessions that left me feeling on top of the world.  We worked on all the tricks I'd taught him so far (wave with both front feet, smile, hug, kiss on the cheek) and then got to working on the pilon target training.  The idea with the pilon is for him to touch it with his nose, no matter where I put it.  I hold it in my hand out to one side or the other and he'd target it just fine.  But when I'd put it down on the ground, he got confused.  Well he connected it tonight and we worked liberty to run together and I'd drop the pilon, give the command, and keep running.  He stopped right away and went to the target.  Good boy!!!!  He got it so solid that I put the pilon on the end of my dressage whip and put it up in the air.  He thought about it and then reached waaay up to touch it.  Up next, target training for him to stand front feet on a target.  The target right now is a white baby pad.  I think a flutter board would work really well too though. 

I've been thinking lately about putting together a trick training clinic.  I'm no Jackie Johnson, but I have some ideas on helping people get success out of the trick training by tayloring their program to their horse's personality.  Some horses are just more inclined to engage and do silly things like wave and lay down and such. 

Tonight I also got to work my horse with other people at the barn!!  This was the first time since I got to the barn.  Really nice people, from diverse backgrounds.  Everyone respects everyone else and just has a good time with the animals they love.  That's what it's all about afterall!  Can't wait to go tomorrow.  Maybe I can talk someone into taking pictures or video!!

No comments:

Post a Comment