Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Inspection Time, mmm that lovely smell of burning hair!

Yesterday was the annual RPSI inspection, this year hosted by Tami Crane at the beautiful Emerald Equestrian in Calmar.  It was a first for this area of Alberta, but we were quite happy with the turnout.  Two lovely pony stallions came in for German Sport Pony approvals as well as 3 foals, another pony mare and some adult mares.  I took my two mares who I've bred to Ritchie, Stella and Bay Mare.  Unfortunately my mares didn't show as well as I would have liked, they were stressed and herd bound... It's understandable, and they still got their approvals.  My poor Bay Mare, 19 years old and first time ever doing anything like that.  It was even the first time she'd ever had a bridle on her face!  She did look lovely though, all braided up.  Even when she did an impromptu exit stage left, she was still pretty. 

Ritchie got his brand this year finally!!  I guess the irons are now all safe to cross the boarder...???  I'm very glad to report that it was a much calmer ordeal than I'd imagined.  I stayed up front with him, covered his eye a bit and Otto took the iron back to his flank.  He petted him and we talked calmly with him.  He put the iron on and Ritchie jumped away a second later.  We walked off and there were no issues.  No screaming, no losing his mind, just walked quietly and attentively back to the barn with me.  It turned out just lovely too. 



That's the end of my "show season".  Jose's currently out with a trainer for 30 days so I'm looking forward to getting him home to work, Ritchie's booked for April with a trainer, mares are bred, lessons are nearly wrapped up, judging my last show of the year at Maple Leaf Meadows this Sunday and then just continuing to teach the equine first-aid courses throughout the winter. 

Sigh, good year!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment